Show reviews that mention
order plants customer service burgess plant service customer money phone trees
Filter review

Burgess Seed

My wife & I ordered seeds, trees, bulbs & rose bushes. I planted 4 each of about 7 types of seeds in one of the green house boxs you find at Home Depot and none of them came up. I repeated the process in another box and none of them came up. All of the trees are doing well but after planting her roses and waiting for them to flower she found they were not what she ordered. I sent them an email explaing my seeds did not germinate and they told me to send them the label from the package they came in. Naturally I did not save the package. My wife has the bag her plants came in and will be contacting them this week. Unless they replace her plants we will not be buying from them again.
Dahlonega, Georgia
Burgess Seed And Plant Company Plant
THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS.... I ORDERED SOME PLANTS FROM THEM- AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS HAD PASSED I RECEIVED AN EMPTY ENVELOPE WITH SOME FREE PACKETS OF SEEDS AND NOTHING MORE-- I CONTACTED THEM AND WAS TOLD TO SEND EVERYTHING BACK INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING(WHICH IN...

I have not had a bad delivery yet.

View more comments
Los Angeles, California
Burgess Seed And Plant Company Plant

No longer a Burgess Customer!

We are proud to inform you that we have spent over $500.00 on nursery items this Spring and none of it was purchased through Burgess. Last year we spent money with you and when our order came it was mangled in shipment and all of the stock was worthless. We called and were informed that you always sent your plants in garbage type bags with no box to protect them. Your representative was out-of-line and not in the spirit of good customer service. Since we did not like your response and you wasted of year of our time and growing season, we decided to never order from Burgess again. You did not offer us a refund or replacement. You should have sent a complete replacement order as good customer service with the proper packaging to insure the arrival in an excellent condition. We of course, do not recommend your company to any of our friends, as it should be. We do not want anyone we know to share our bad experience. You have our permission to add this to your list of customer comments about your lack of service! Peg and Vern Wienke

I had order issues with damaged roots on some plants, but they always made it right. The packaging they use is common by all the catalog nurseries I have used.

I would try customer service again. You may just reached a ***.

Always get names of people you spoke with. The next customer service rep may do their job right and report your complaint of the previous rep.

Wilburton, Oklahoma

Refused to refund money

They didn't tell me they couldn't accomodate my request to ship middle of September or before, and they had my e-mail address on the order so I canceled the order on Oct. 1, asking for a refund of my money, as we were leaving the area for the winter. We left the area on Oct. 2, when we arrived here there was a message waiting for me (Oct. 5) that they couldn't find an order for me and to please verify that the check had cleared my bank, etc. I got a copy of the check from my bank and sent them a copy of my order On Oct. 11, I received a message from them the order had now been shipped. I responded why?, I canceled the order and there is no one there to receive it. And besides, I don't want them forwarded to me here, I have no garden here. I again asked for my money back. Again they said I had to send the plants back to get a refund. I responded I haven't received any plants to send back. This went on until Nov. 11, plants had been forwarded to my husband, not to me. The address where the original order had been shipped, had returned the plants to Burgess, along with our forwarding address, and Burgess then proceeded to forward them to my husband, instead of me. All I want is my money back, and they refuse to refund the money, and I refuse to pay to ship the plants back. ($8.23) I told them I would if they would re-imburse me for the shipping. The unopened package is sitting here on my desk. The plants must be dead by now. I really get irritated with Customercare (or whatever it is called) because no one ever signs their name and you never know if you are dealing with the same person or 10 different people. They actually got the plants back from the Post Office, but instead of refunding my money,as I requested, they chose to forward the order to my new address, which I had asked them not to. I can't imagine how they stay in business when they operate in this manner. The customer be damned!!!

I had a problem similar to that with Henry Seed. They too sent items after cancellation, since you don't know when they will be shipped until the order is complete. We are snowbirds so we could not get what we ordered when we wanted it.

Washington, District Of Columbia
Burgess Seed And Plant Company Plant

Sent bad product and did not make good

Burgess Seed company : i ordered from burgess seed and received bulbs for plants that were nothing but paper that the bulb had rotted out of. i received roots for flowers that were dry and not healthy. i contacted them by their request through mail USPS and never received any bulb product that even was worth planting nothing but paper, and they refuse now because they say the warranty has expired. well when you get nothing but ***, and *** won't grow, then you spent many $$ for nothing. Don't buy from these people. i went through the reshipment of product 3 different times and each time i got ***. they will not talk to me, they will not even send me a letter saying i am denied anything just no communication at all. they are not gardner friendly or even people friendly and surely don't care if they have my business or not.

Please note that this company also has "sister" companies that use the same ordering and shipping services and same suppliers. :zzz

I'm going through the re shipment process at this time. They say they never got my paper work.

On my Blackberries . I sent pictures with it. Showing how I received them Dried up and Dead. Now they say to contact a Grace Avery CEO.

Or something. Just send me new plants before the growing season is over.

That would be to simple . Or send me a refund.

I agree with jacklinz the items i recieved were nothing put paper skins and the seedlings that i got that i were supposed to plant right away were rotten. They say they are dormant when i contacted them about the shape they were in well they are still dormant because they never came in! Do not buy from this company there are many more out there that are bettter

if i had a bulb to plant or i got a bulb at all i would say i could be at fault. but i received a dried up shrivaled bulb that resembled paper.

i received rotten no good bulbs.

for example, you buy garlic in the store and leave it in the cabinet for 4 months. or in the fridge, you take it out and the meat is gone and all you have left is the paper looking cover, that is what i received.

There are so many scam business's out there. Such as Heart Bakery, Empire Specialized Investigations is a RIP OFF, Dodge Motor Company a scam on sales, High Desert Cleaning and tons more I read in here

Perhaps it is you planting them wrong. If this is the case you would deny it.

View more comments (5)
ID
#194595 Review #194595 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Londonderry, New Hampshire

Burgess Seed and Plant Company provides terrible customer service

I ordered several types of plants from Royal Dutch, a division of Burgess. They took forever to arrive. When they did arrive in late spring, several of the bulbs (Arum Italicum and Dahlia) were rotten looking. In addition, they had shorted me 1 Hosta. I planted everything. I had also ordered Canna, Arum Italicum, Hosta and Dahlias. None of the Cannas came up, half of the Hostas came up, none of the Arum Italicum came up and only half of the Dahlias came up. I emailed them with details of the issue in early June. They emailed me back and told me I had to write them a letter and enclose a copy of the shipping label, which I did. I had enclosed a hard copy of the email. About two weeks later I received a reply from them asking me to tell them how many plants had not survived. My copy of the email stated that but I rewrote a letter showing each order item and how many had not made it. Several times, I emailed them, including copies of past email and a scanned copy of the order. They claim that they cannot open attachments in email and each time emailed me back asking for more information. They obviously don't have much of a modern order tracking system, because when I called them, they said they can't open up orders and look at them. In mid-August (two months after my complaint) I finally got a package from them. When I opened it, the replacement Canna bulbs were rotten and mushy as were the Arum Italicum. Several of the Hosta roots were moldy. I took photos and called them. The guy that answered was rude and said I would have to send them another letter explaining what happened. When I asked him what I was going to do with the replacement bulbs this late in the season, he said to plant them in pots. The replacement Hostas I will plant as they can be left in the ground but the other bulbs that are not rotten, will hardly have come up before I have to dig them out. I can only say that these folks are very unreliable so buyer beware. I am done with them.

same issues i had - ditto

ID
#194524 Review #194524 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Newark, New Jersey

NO SHIPMENT YET

Ordered $30.00 worth of merchandise on may 11 2010. Credit card charged may 15, 2010. I was told shipment would be shipped within 14 days of charging credit card, to date as of june 1, 2010 we received nothing.I see many more complaints. Looks like a shady company to purchase from. My first and last order with them. Jackson and perkins are great.I feel the better business company should be made aware of this company. As of today I am contacting credit card company to see if I can get them to aid me in this situation. Last but not least do not order from Burgess Seed Co.
Monroe, Georgia

I should had read the review first

Burgess plants and seed are the worst. If your plants/trees are not DOA or broken they aren't in with the rest of your order. customer service seems to be non-existence. I'm still trying to get my plants from last year, no luck now their e-mail won't work and the phone is busy. never again, but lesson learned "you get what you pay for. I won't let this get me down I'm still going to have a pretty garden I just have ti spend more money on the same items. If anyone want to know a excellent company try cottage farms direct. I have had plant replaced 2 years later because i didn't like how they were growing. no problem, no sending back labels just call and they replace no questions asked. that's a life time guarantee.
Brooklyn, New York

Burgess Seed not shipping my order

I have been waiting for my order from Burgess Seed to arrive.Payment was sent on 3-25-2010. Having hard time communicating with company.Delivery promises that order should be here by now. Our state heats up very fast in the spring and the plants should be in the ground. I stated special instructions on order to ship promptly. If we do not receive the order in the next couple days we will contact better business bureau in Bloomington , Ill with complaint. I ordered several years ago from Burgess and was not thrilled with the plants at that time. Should have known better?
Somerset, Kentucky

Where's my plants

I will never buy anything from Burgess again. Since last year spring I'm still trying to get items that were left out of my order. I gave them another try and ordered more plants very *** of me. I didn't receive anything. I was told it was shipped a month ago and thats it. Customer service does not seem to exsist at this company, and this foolishness about the original label need to be presented to get replacements, but they have my label from last year. everthing else have died and don't dare call customer service for advice on planting or growing. never again.

you are better off without that order and cancel it. order from Stark brothers they have wonderful products and so does spring hill.

i received great trees and they are willing to replace them without all the hoop jumping that burgess requires and once they charge you and you get *** product, you don't get your money back. i lost about $50 with them that i will have to use as a lesson with this company.

you are better off ordering someplace else. my experience and others

Brooklyn, New York

Burgess Seed And Plant Company: Didn't receive product

We brought $170 of bulbs and seed and they cashed the check on 02-08-2010 and didn't received the product as of march 22 2010. Do we wait a little bit longer or what. Can you help us solve this problem. Because we don't know what to do. we try online and could not get online, can not find a phone no. What can we do? can you help us. please contact us by e-mail at psalms118v8@***.com we do not have no place else to turn please help us, we need help. we do not want to get ripped off.

That company sucks, my brother ordered some plants from Burgess as well. They try to get you to jump through hoops to get a refund, what a bunch of crooks. How the *** do they continue to stay in business

I purchased from one of their sub companies, Honecreek Nurseries. Order placed in March, 2012.

Never received my order ($78+) but their tracking said it was delivered to me. Well, I told them if it was left outside and since I had no way of knowing this because the delivery company never rang my bell or notified me, someone passing may have picked it up. Why would I argue to get my refund. Now they say I have to return the product in order to get a refund but they will issue me a credit voucher.

I want my money back since I have already bought locally and don't need anything else at this point. Seems they can't understand that tracing or not, I NEVER GOT MY STUFF. This is their policy, return the merchandise and you get a refund.

DUH!! I'll never order from them again.

After reading many of these complaints, I wish I had read them before ordering! I am having the same problem most of you are having, no plants in a timely manner, cancelled my ordered.

Told I would get a refund, then the plants were sent to me AFTER the request should have gone through! This company is so bogus! Never again and I did file a complaint with the BBB. I really don't expect much to come from them either.

BUT, did anyone finally get a refund. I am still hopeful in that area.

I was sent some dead sticks for 48.50...When I sent in for new replacements they said I needed my orginal shipping form I had sent them a copy of my order form..They sent every thing back I sent and asked for the shipping lable...How can this company do this to all its customers and not get caught?

Burgess Seed charged my credit card and did not send the plants. Loretta and Liz were rude on the phone and I have had to file a complaint with the Attorney General.

I placed an order for $76.21on March 19 2010. My account was billed on 3/24/2010.

I have called twice and was told the order was ready to ship on 4/19 and should be received the last of April. It is now 45 days and no order. I have tried to call today and was told the call could not be put through. Where did they go?!

It is too late to plant the 75 strawberry plants. Our berries are two weeks from harvest. I really can't afford to loose the money.

Has anyone succesfully had their money refunded? :cry

I'm sorry to say that I'm in the same position.I ordered 46.00 worth of plants-not that much in comparison to a few hundred dollars,but that's not the point!In my order,it included 2 packs of loose seeds.I did receive those in about 4 weeks.I placed my order on 3/17,today is 5/3,and I still have not gotten my live plants!I have a knot in my stomach now after reading these posts!!HOW CAN THEY TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS????If and when I receive the rest of my order,I will never order from them again,and will make a report with the BBB.I hope everyone here gets their orders,despite Burgess's lack of professional integrity.

This company, Burgess Seed & Plant Co., is in dire need of some internal restructuring of the company policy and staff. I honestly have never been so indiscreetly disrespected by a company, and as a NEW customer none the less.

A MONTH ago I placed an order for a few hundred dollars worth of this company's products (plants, trees, vegetables, etc.), all planned out in advance so that they would arrive on Earth Day and I could do my part to help mother nature (and build upon my garden). The day after I placed the order I made sure to speak with a representative to double check that most of what I ordered was in stock and able to be shipped as I hoped (give or take a week or two). I wish I had paid attention to the red flags going off when spoke with a representative then first time. This person had absolutely NO idea about their products or policy, and nor did he care. I was slightly disappointed with my first personal interaction with the company, but thought it was just one uneducated worker out or the dozen, and figured I would just let it slide and be patient.

After two more weeks passed, I called again... SAME EXACT situation. Except this time the man on the phone was very rude and abrasive right from the getting, nothing that came out of his mouth was even slightly professional. I asked him when he thought I should expect to receive my packages and he said "I'm not really certain, we can't tell you, but they are here and all packaged up ready to go." Mind you the products I ordered and TINY TINY seedlings, nothing even remotely close to needing to be shipped via anything other than a cardboard box.

Well, today I decided it was necessary to make another attempt at finding out when it is that these items should arrive. TWO weeks AGAIN,, and after receiving a busy signal for 25 minutes, I was eventually greeted by a (not so shockingly) curt,, unmotivated, and uneducated individual. Upset with how long this has already taken, having missed Earth day, and still not getting any semblance of an answer as to when I should be "expecting" my shipment, I immediately ask for a surpervisor. They put me on the phone with a woman named Liz, "the supervisor" "code #739". Funny thing is SHE WAS EVEN WORSE THEN THE OTHERS! This woman was flat out obnoxious, barely let me even ask a question, and is just as useless and careless about her job as my money is in the hands of what may seem to be a fraudulent company. I cant imagine that one can take people's money, not answer ANY of their inquiries (NONETHELESS as a supervisor), promise a product, and have no immediate plans to send them what the paid for A MONTH ago. It's honestly the most BOGUS thing I have ever heard. At this point this company has just become a joke to me and receiving my items is becoming more and more of a game. I sincerely feel bad for whoever owns this company and has worked SO hard as to build it up to be so large, only to have it torn down by incompetent employees. This company definitely needs to be looked into to see what's really going on. No legitimate company would ever treat customers as I have been treated on numerous basis'. Its very unfortunate, but I hope BBB will be able to do something to make sure this doesnt continue or others are able to learn of other options or even what they are Truely in-store for. Much respect and gratitude.

This company is a complete SCAM. Stay away from them

1. When you call their number on the website its either BUSY or gets directed to a Credit Union.

2. When you check the status of your order they dont give you any information except.. "please allow additional time for shipping"

We ordered back on March 21 2010. They say wait 1-2 weeks for order processing. Ok, no problem. I check in little after week 2 they said its still processing and will ship based on availability. So basically if your product isn't available you need to wait. I follow up everycouple days since then, order still never shipped. They cant even tell you with your current order number. Last week I get a response saying its sitting in shipping and will ship anytime soon. This week I check in to be sure it shipped and was told " has not been shipped as they are being prepared and packed" please allow a few more weeks for shipping.

A few more weeks? WHAT.. No i want my money back. I dont want thier plants

Stay away from this company. They already charged my card and never can give you proper answers on your order

I am filing with state attorney general, better business bueraru. anywhere else we should file? i think we all should file class action suit!

I emphasize with you . .

I haven't ordered directly from Burgess, but have placed about $300 in orders from three of their companies: Dutch Gardens, Honeycreek Nursery, and Royal Dutch.

I've been given the run around and no one can give me even an approximate date as to when my orders placed in early January '10 will be shipped. I'll never deal with Burgess nor any of it's subsidiaries again.

View more comments (9)
Columbia, South Carolina

Burgess Seed & Plant Company won't honor guarantee

Burgess Seed & Plant Company will not replace plants that did not survive per their warrenty. I have followed company directions re returning original package label, yet company denies that I properly submitted claim. I am unable to reach anyone by phone to resolve this issue. The only phone line publicized is for order taking only. They are a very devious and unresponsive company to consumer needs. I have written company many times stating my case and they respond by mail rejecting my submission yet I cannot reach anyone by phone to discuss this matter. One plant never arrived and three plants died yet I cannot receive satisfaction.

here what i wrote them about similar problem

on april 30 2010 i sent a letter, with all required info, explaining the problem with tomatoe and pepper plants we ordered. pkg id 08061****.

your FORM REPLY was to allow 6 weeks to see if plants would make it.

they had been planted and THEY ARE DEAD and if we have to wait 6 week for replacements we will be planting them in july which which im sure you would agree is much too late.

so at this point we either want new replacement plants or a refund immediatly.

i should add that these were some of the worst plants we have ever purchased, they were scrawy, wilted, over watered, and had under developed roots.

please reply asap we need to be planting now!

Clarkston, Michigan

Burgess Plants are a scam

Do not be fooled by their prices like we were. We just finished counting which of our plants from Burgess are still living. Despite following all the directions, and having all plants from other seed co's survive - we have 4 trees barely limping along out of an order totaling almost $400 from last year. As the previous reviewer said, money aside - the time and effort wasted cannot be replaced. All of the berry bushes, vegetables, flowers and grasses are dead as well. It is horrible that this company is getting away with all of this. I can only imagine how many other folks are out there regretting their purchases from Burgess.
Waterloo, Illinois

Wasted time

i use to be employed with burgess seed and plant company. I worked in the call center, let me tell you this, they are horrible with customer service and once they have your money your in for a ride. Not a very good one at that. They don't pay the shipping department what they should. So therefore when your packages are being sent out, they handle them extremely ruff. I will give you some of the most important information you wil ever read... DON'T waste your time, money or effort, trying to order from them. I have seen their company from the inside, and it is just as bad as what people say and think.

I ordered 48 bushes - when they came they were all dead - it took me over a month to get my money back when i did get it back after sending a cerfitied shipment back to them with the dead product they told me i shorted them 7 of their dead products and dedcuted for each one not to mention the shipping and handling fee of $10, needless to say I would never order from them - bottom line the dead plants cost me $23 (NEVER AGAIN)....

RE: Order #3316****

I ordered plants in mid May received them in mid June. NONE arrived alive.

Customer Service said to wait that it takes time. 1-1/2 months later STILL NO LIFE. Now Customer Service says we waited too long to get a refund - That they will give a voucher for future purchases. Frankly I don't want their product!!!

I want a FULL REFUND!!! Stay away from Burgess Plant & Seed Co.

I have ordered the purple smoke trees from them and they are probably 8-10 feet tall now and doing well in the South. I must admit they have a dreadful customer service dept, and are not helpful, but annoyed that you called them .

View more comments (2)
Forest Park, Illinois
Burgess Seed And Plant Company Plant

Burgess Seed and Plant Co.

This is a very bad company. They have 9 other similar ones, in their "family". If i had been able to read all of the negative comments about this company, i would NEVER have ordered from them. i spent nearly $300 on dead plants, but that's not the worst thing. That, is all the hard work and time I spent trying to get them to grow. I followed their directions, completely. Not only did they look bad, but they smelled like ammonia. They were moldy and broken up and the roots were indistinguishable from the stems! Tell everyone you know, and be sure to check out Dave's garden website for the sister companies, so you don't order from them, either!

Not only does Burgess send out nonviable plants, but they refuse to do any warranty replacements unless you can provide the "original shipping label." I called them and found that their clerk could see the original order on her computer screen, but she insisted that she have the "original shipping label" as a proof of purchase. Of course, she was looking at the proof of purchase as she sat there.

This is a really, really bad outfit that would deny warranty service when they already know that they shipped to the customer. She even correctly identified what I had bought!

@PissedConsumer23123

I sent them pictures of the Blackberrys Prime Art 45. along with the original shipping label.

Put two stamps on it and now there telling me they they have not got it. So I'm loosing *** growing season . E- Mailing . Calling.

Now there telling me to wright to someone In charge Grace Avery.

. So I guess that's next.

View more comments (1)